Academic HR Resources for Academic Administrators
Updated: May 14, 2021
Recruitment & Hiring
Resources that may be helpful when you’re searching:
- Strategies for recruiting an excellent and diverse faculty complement: A guide for enhancing the diversity of applicant pools and minimizing the impact of unconscious bias in assessing candidates.
- Best practices for virtual faculty interviews: Setting up online interviews, preparing your candidate and committee, troubleshooting technical issues.
Resources that may be helpful when you’re hiring:
- Canada’s top 100 employers
- Canada’s top family-friendly employers
- Faculty Relocation Service
- Integration programs for new faculty
- Dual Career Connection program: services for spouses and partners looking for non-academic employment.
- Human Resources & Equity
It is important to issue the appropriate invitation to international visitors, even those who will not receive pay. Whether inviting faculty or others to visit for as little as a few days or hiring them for a longer period, please ensure that you are familiar with the immigration rules. There are a number of resources available at the University to assist you in navigating this process. We will be sharing them shortly.
Updated: March 3, 2021
Transition to the New Policy
On October 20, 2020, the Governing Council approved important changes relating to part-time faculty. The VPFAL Office will be working directly with Dean’s Offices and through them with academic units to clearly identify how all existing part-time faculty will be impacted by the agreed upon Transition Framework (PDF).
All existing part-time faculty should be contacted between January and July 2021 about how the Transition Framework will impact them. Appropriate cover letters and template Letters of Offer will be provided to all Dean’s Offices and shared by then with Chairs and Directors where appropriate.
As the University transitions to the new Part-time Policy, some faculty continue to be appointed under the old policy Policy and Procedures on Employment Conditions of Part-time Academic Staff, 1994 (PDF).
Understanding Part-Time Faculty Under the Part-Time Policy
- Effective January 1, 2021, all new faculty will be appointed under the new policy: Policy and Procedures on Employment Conditions of Part-time Faculty (PtP, 2021).
- See the AAPM chapter on Part-Time Faculty for more details.
Appointments Under the New Policy
- Full-time equivalent (FTE): “A part-time appointment is one that does not exceed 75 per cent of full-time employment and is not less than 20 per cent of full-time employment.” (PtP, 2021)
- “Appointments may be made to any academic rank on a part-time basis.” (PtP, 2021, 2a)
- Consultation: Units should consult with their Dean’s Office and VPFAL when making appointments at the ranks of Associate Professor; Associate Professor, Teaching Stream; Professor; and Professor, Teaching Stream.
- Stream: “Appointment to the ranks of Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream; Associate Professor, Teaching Stream; Professor, Teaching Stream; Assistant Professor, Associate Professor or Professor should be reserved for those individuals who bear a similar responsibility in terms of teaching, research/scholarship and service, to full-time appointments.” (PtP, 2021, 2b)
Promotion of Part-Time Faculty
|Promotion of part-time faculty in the non Tenure Stream||Policy and Procedures Governing Promotions (PPP, 1980)||The PPP, 1980 governs the promotion of part-time faculty from Assistant Professor to Associate Professor and from Associate Professor to Professor.|
|Promotion of part-time faculty in the Teaching Stream||Policy and Procedures Governing Promotions in the Teaching Stream (PPPTS, 2021)||The PPPTS, 2021 governs the promotion of part-time faculty from Assistant Professor, Teaching Stream to Associate Professor, Teaching Stream; and from Associate Professor, Teaching Stream to Professor, Teaching Stream.|