While navigating your academic career at the University of Toronto (U of T) it is important to also manage and maintain your immigration status in Canada. If you are not sure where obtain information about the Canadian immigration system, we are here to provide assistance. The information below identifies key aspects of the Canadian immigration system.

Applying for Permanent Residency (PR) 

Tenure Stream or Teaching Stream Appointments 

If you hold a tenure stream or teaching stream appointment at U of T, you will have been assigned dedicated legal immigration support for you and any accompanying eligible family when you started your appointment. It is a term and condition of your employment with U of T that you cooperate fully with the law firm and promptly deal with any requests they may make of you.

Other U of T Faculty 

Here is information regarding common paths to Canadian permanent residency:  

ProgramDescriptionImportant Links
Express Entry — Federal Skilled Worker Program This program is for skilled workers with foreign work experience who want to immigrate to Canada permanently.Federal skilled workers: eligibility requirements
Express Entry — Canadian Experience ClassThis program is for skilled workers who have gained Canadian work experience and want to become permanent residents.Canadian Experience Class: eligibility requirements
Family sponsorshipEligible adults can sponsor certain relatives to come to Canada.Family sponsorship program

If you have general questions about the Canadian PR process, please email

Maintaining Canadian PR & Renewing PR Cards

A Canadian permanent resident (Canadian PR) is someone who has been given permanent resident status by immigrating to Canada, but is not a Canadian citizen. Permanent residents are citizens of other countries. Find out more about Canadian PR status.

Your PR card is your proof of Canadian PR status. One of its key uses is as a travel document that will enable you to re-enter Canada via a commercial vehicle (e.g., an airplane, boat, train, or bus). You must present it with the passport from your country of citizenship. Before you travel outside Canada, you should check the expiration date of your PR card to make sure that is it valid past your planned return date.

To maintain Canadian PR status, you must have been in Canada for a minimum of 730 days (two years cumulative total) over the last five years. These 730 days do not need to be continuous. Some of your time abroad may count towards the 730 days. When you apply to renew your PR card, you must prove that you meet the Canadian residency requirements. You can apply for a PR card if your current card has expired or will expire in less than nine (9) months. You should start the PR card renewal application process once you are sure you meet the residency requirements. Do not wait until closer to the expiration date of your PR cards as it can take several months to receive your new PR card in the mail. You can only apply for a PR card from within Canada. See details on how to get a permanent resident card.

If you find yourself outside of Canada with an expired PR card and must return to Canada by a commercial carrier, you can apply for a Permanent Resident Travel Document (PRTD). The current PRTD processing time is approximately six weeks. During this process, you will have to provide evidence that you meet the residency requirement. If you do not think you meet the residency requirement, do not pursue this option as you could lose your PR status. See detailed instructions on applying for a PRTD.

If you require assistance, please contact

Canadian Citizenship 

Check your eligibility for citizenship. 

Applying for Canadian Citizenship.

Overview of the application process including links to needed forms.

The University does not provide direct support for the citizenship process. If you wish to engage an immigration lawyer, you may engage the same firm the University uses, but the University will not be responsible for the legal fees. As a referred faculty member of U of T, you will be charged a reduced legal fee for their services plus disbursements, government processing fees, and Harmonized Sales Tax (HST). Please contact if you would like the referral.