Memos Related to Academic HR, for Faculty
Posted: August 8, 2022
- Streamlining the Process for MRA Approvals for Teaching Stream Faculty (PDAD&C #4) (August 5, 2022): Under this new arrangement, teaching stream faculty will automatically be provided with access to My Research Applications & Agreements (MRA) when they are hired, as is the case with tenure stream faculty.
- Workload Considerations During COVID-19 (PDAD&C #14) (August 13, 2021): The COVID-19 pandemic and related public health guidance and provincial legislation have had a significant impact on the responsibilities, workload, and professional activities of many faculty members and librarians. This memo reiterates the principles and considerations that should guide the assignment of workload in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic and provides highlights of an agreement with UTFA with respect to COVID-19 related workloads in the 2020-21 academic year.
- Course Evaluation Data for Academic Review Processes: COVID-19 (PDAD&C #13) (August 13, 2021): This memo provides information about an agreement between the University and UTFA concerning two matters relating to the use of course evaluations as part of the COVID-19 specific Letter of Understanding (COVID LOU)
- COVID-19 Expense Reimbursement Fund (PDAD&C #12) (August 13, 2021): Following the University’s agreement with UTFA on a COVID-19 specific Letter of Understanding, we are announcing the establishment of the COVID-19 Expense Reimbursement Fund (the “CERF”) to reimburse faculty members and librarians for expenses incurred by them related to the performance of undergraduate and graduate teaching and, in the case of librarians, professional practice remotely due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Provostial Funding for the National Center for Faculty Development & Diversity (NCFDD)’s Faculty Success Program & Post-Tenure Pathfinders Program, 2021-22 (July 9, 2021). This memo clarifies that:
- Faculty and graduate students may register for a free sub-account at www.facultydiversity.org/institutions/utoronto
- The Provost’s Office will contribute 50% of the cost associated with the NCFDD’s Faculty Success Program and with the Post-Tenure Pathfinders programs provided that the home unit or Dean’s Office contributes the remainder of the funds.
- Reminder — Upcoming Deadline to Submit Notice of Intention to Retire for Faculty (PDAD&C#51) (March 5, 2021): Faculty members who wish to commence retirement on July 1, 2022 must give notice of their intention by July 1, 2021. This is the annual formal reminder of this deadline.
- With the transition to the University Pension Plan Ontario effective July 1, 2021 faculty members and librarians considering retirement are encouraged to read the following articles within the HR Service Centre: Planning to Retire and Income & Benefits in Retirement. Currently a retirement session is not scheduled.
- Faculty must submit a notice of intention to participate in the three-year phased retirement program (PRP) to their unit head at least one year in advance of the proposed commencement date (which shall be July 1) using this form.
- Provision for Requesting Delay to Timeline for Academic Review in Response to COVID-19 (PDAD&C#56) (March 20, 2020): The memo clarifies that any pre-tenure faculty member may request a one-year delay in their timeline to tenure on the grounds of the “serious personal circumstances beyond their control” associated with the current COVID-19 situation.
- 2020-21 Course Evaluation Data: COVID-19 (PDAD&C#4) (July 16, 2020): The University advises all Chairs, Academic Directors, and Deans reviewing course evaluation data for the purposes of PTR (Progress Through the Ranks), tenure, continuing status and promotion processes, and for the sessional lecturer advancement process to consider course evaluation data in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic and significant changes made to course structures and delivery format.
PDAD&C = Principals, Deans, Academic Directors, and Chairs