March 16, 2020.
A number of Dean’s Offices have reached out with questions concerning Academic Searches. As of March 16, 2020, our advice is as follows:
- In light of the rapidly changing situation and increasing restrictions on travel, we recommend that you postpone or cancel any planned campus visits.
- If this is an urgent search, we recommend conducting Skype (or other online technology enabled) interviews.
- Please note that it is an important consideration to try to make the experience as similar as possible for all candidates.
- Alternatively, you may wish to postpone search-related activities.
- If you anticipate your search concluding more than six months from the closing date of your job ads, please reach out to the Office of Faculty & Academic Life for additional guidance.
- If the delay means that you anticipate that you may make an offer in May for a July 1 start, please reach out to our office for additional guidance.
Please don’t hesitate to reach out if we can provide you with support or advice relative to any
academic human resources matter at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Best regards, Jane
Jane E. Harrison, PhD
Director, Office of the Vice-Provost, Faculty & Academic Life
University of Toronto